If you’ve been following us for any length of time I’m sure you are aware of my love for documentary films. So, you can understand my excitement to sit down and chat with someone who produces life on such a grand scale.
Kim Ray is a writer, producer and director. She recently produced the documentary Gaga: Five Foot Two, that follows icon Lady Gaga. The film premiered at the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival and then was released worldwide on Netflix.
Kim has also produced the reality TV shows, MTV’s Made, The X Factor and Kendra on Top. She’s currently in post-production with her short film entitled Violet’s New Life. Violet, a 72-year-old who has just downloaded her consciousness into a 35-year-old synthetic version of herself, insists on going to her own funeral with her daughter, Joyce, (30).
In this episode, we discuss:
- Attending USC Film School
- Working in reality TV
- How she landed the project GAGA: Five Foot Two
- Why she doesn’t have a personal website
- Pivoting from photography to film school
- Learning to brag on yourself as a creative
- How she has been able to land jobs in the film industry
- Are you cut out for the journey to become a director, producer?
- Learning that marketing plays a heavy role in TV and Film
What Kim is watching right now? The Crown
What Kim is reading right now? Altered Carbon